Jan 15, 2008

Io sono a Siena! (I am in Siena!) and some of the beauty that lies here


Overlooking the Piazza del Campo from the Duomo Tower

In Siena the children are born knowing how to roll their R's and there's no such thing as a "close talker". Old men lean in to speak to each other as they stroll the cobblestone streets without hurry or fret. On their journey through the town, the locals stop occasionally, examining the jackets and boots in shop windows on "salde". The roads and the sidewalks here are one, leaving just enough width for a car to pass with pedestrians on either side. But tourists beware!--cars appear out of nowhere on these winding street-alleys, and will leave you startled and short of breath when you almost get hit by one!

Despite the potential danger of lightening fast vihecles, there's something magical about what lies beyond the bend. Siena was made in the 14th century before the profession of architecture existed, so the city rose without planning. Building by building, nine wealthy men added to what has now become a dense labrynth of seven story buildings with shops, cafés, pizzerias, and resturantes along the street level. The "belly-pop" of the city is the Piazza de Campo, a huge open space, landmarked by a magnificent towering town hall and cafés and bars facing inward.

Siena is a mound of authenticity. No, literally a mound. My calves are sore from walking up and down the stone streets everywhere I go. But I have no complaints--at least I'm walking off the mounds of pasta and pizza I've been chowing down on. (I'll save food descriptions for a different post.)Peeking around in small art galleries and wandering my way to the university that's 15 minutes from my hotel, I feel invigorated and lifeless simultaneously. My Italian language class is from 9 to 12:30 every day, but with the 15 minute walk and time for breakfast at the hotel, I'm waking up at 7 every morning. And do you really think that in a new, exciting Italian city, I ever get to bed before 2a.m.? 5 hours of sleep isn't cutting it. Luckily, the Italians know how to relax and enjoy life with a 2-3 hour siesta everyday around lunch time--perfect for napping!

Exciting things lie in store, including cooking classes, wine tastings, museum tours, and trips to amazing little Italian towns. Last night some friends and I found a really eccentric social pub called Bella Vista that has live AfroCuban music every Wednesday night. The musician, Moses from Guine, was there and made us reservations to sit right up front. I'll be sure to post about these experiences when I have time. Right now I can only use Internet at the school without my laptop, so pictures will be added later.

Siena is absolutely beautiful and I'm having a wonderful time. Of course, I miss home and loved ones, but the more I stay busy and embrace where I am, the more amazed I am that I'm here taking part in the experience of a lifetime. Adjustment always takes time--but let's be real here--there couldn't be a better place to have to adjust to!

Cioa!
Rachael

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachael...
I miss you...
and I am so proud of you for being you: artsy and explorational... travel for me too!!!

Anonymous said...

sounds awesome, rach. i'm excited for you! have a wonderful time. i love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachael

I am so glad your doing wonderful! Israel was great. I miss you a lot

Love,
Jeremy