Jan 28, 2008

Propaganda or Art?


Dumping the riches to the poor--the floor of the Duomo in Siena.

There are some things you don’t talk about with new Italian friends. The same goes for new friends of any region, but in Italy, mention the word politics and the amiable dinnertime clamor falls quiet with tension and suspense. Then someone mentions through a polite chuckle that it’s best we don’t talk politics, and moves on to conversation about the delicious food and wine.

This is a tough lesson for me to learn, a tough line for me to walk, considering my rebellious political side and my inclination to strike challenging questions. Nevertheless, this is Italy and there are already enough Americans running around wanting all the charm and history of this nation, but all the convenience and comfort of their own. So I’ll try not to push the wrong buttons or cross the bolded lines with my new Italian friends. Not until they learn that my questions have no scrutiny, only curiosity, and my challenges have no winners, only interesting outcomes. Trust takes time here--time and an ability to communicate clearly, which I'm working on everyday.

Ironically, although casual conversations about politics (and religion) are reserved for close and trusted friends only, messages from the state are blazoned on walls abound. Two words: Renaissance Art. This past weekend I traveled to the fantastic city of Venice for their famous celebration of Carnivale (which is room for a separate blog all together--soon, I promise). In this city of canals and bridges, tucked between construzoni colorati e romantici (colorful and romantic buildings), churches and galleries from the 1300's sit with Bellini's masterpieces covering their interiors. An amazing sight for any person to see--artists, devouts, atheists, and architects alike. This propaganda is ART, and in Italy, art is what connects the dear values of family, religion, and Italian pride. But ask one of the Italians looking at the museum walls what they think about the stories they've been told, and you'd hear only the echo of shoes scuffing the marble floors. I'm sensitive and respectful to this reserved means of expression--but like I said, a hard lesson for little-miss-rebel over here to embrace. Ah, but to grow and develop more global tolerance is part of why I'm studying abroad, isn't it?

The modern collection of Peggy Guggenheim was a great break from Madonna and Child. The more subjective art is easier for my to swallow in large quantities :o).

On a seperate note, I would love to get some e-mails from friends and family. I've had very limited Internet access and phone calls are really costly, but when I do find the time to check my mail, it's always such a pleasure to hear from loved ones. I'm making so many great connections to both Italians and Americans here, but there's nothing like hearing what's going on in the lives of the people who mean the most to me. (rachmddx@gmail.com)

What interesting discoveries are you making where you are today?

No comments: