Mar 21, 2008

What Italians Do Better...

No, I'm not talking about gelato or pasta... I'm talking about healthcare. (Although, I must admit, they take the prize on the former also)

This past week for me has been like a rollercoaster of sickness in more directions than imaginable. From a sinus infection, to a fever and chills, to a wisdom tooth swelling my bottom gums and paining me to smile--my reasons for misery have been plenty! Even more, I'm leaving for my spring break to Dublin tomorrow, for which I'm extremely excited yet nervous because traveling while sick is never the best idea.

As to be expected, I've been having moments of panic thinking about going to a doctor, then trying to figure out how I'd pay for the visit and any medications prescribed to me with my limited insurance and low budget. Then I remembered... I'M IN ITALY! Healthcare is not only extremely affordable... it's practically free! Better yet, oftentimes no doctor is needed in order to receive the exact antibiotic that you're looking for. Through the grapevine I heard that you can just walk into the pharmacy, tell them your symptoms, and be given exactly what you need to heal your woes. So I figured I'd give it a shot.

15 minutes and 30 euros later I was the happiest patient ever! With 2 antibiotics for my sinuses and an all-natural anti-bacterial spray for my gums, I am completely set for traveling. My attitude has sky rocketed, and I feel better already knowing that I don't have to worry about feeling miserable and sick during spring break. What a relief. No doctors, no insurance companies, no long lines and annoying processes. Just the medications I need at an affordable price and in a timely manner.

So I've been walking around ecstatic all day blabbing to my friends about the great news. A few of them--especially the Italian ones--just chuckle at me. Americans they think, So excited about something so normal to us. But for me, the American who pays 10-50 dollars for a prescription AFTER my insurance deductions, doctors visits, and long lines at the pharmacy, this is quite the steal!

Point is, America, we've got this healthcare thing all wrong. Politicians and pharmaceutical companies are so intertwined that even when we have presidential candidates promising us reform, we have no one promising us what is absolutely necessary: a step away from corporate greed and bureaucracy that profits off of human illnesses. We must begin to learn about the different systems and alternatives that would be most comprehensive and cover the most people with the best quality at the lowest cost. I personally, along with many progressive doctors and politicians, believe that the single-payer system is the way to go. (Read more about single-payer here at http://www.pnhp.org/). If you're interested in seeing more about the healthcare issue in the States, I would highly recommend Michael Moore's Sicko. It's one of his best documentaries yet, and focuses on the issue at hand more than a political bias.

Well I hope that you're all enjoying your spring break in good health and happiness. And if you're fighting the healthcare insurance companies over one thing or another, I advise you to book a flight to Italy, get what you need at a pharmacy, then stay at my place for a week and make a vacation out of it. I can guarantee it'll be the best trip to the pharmacy you'll ever make!

Ciao,
Rachael

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rachael!
Your semester abroad sounds like so much fun and because I'm planning on going to Italy next spring I'm so glad I get a chance to read about yours. I was looking at the programs through the University of Maryland, but none of them had the range of activities that I wanted. Your blog inspired me to check out the AIFS program and it sounds like exactly what I was looking for.
Enjoy the rest of the semester!