May 27, 2008

TRUST...a couchsurfer's motto

The most rewarding part about traveling to cities all across Europe? Doing it through the online organization of Couchsurfing (www.couchsurfing.com). CS functions as an global network in which people from all over the world create profiles citing their interests, couch availability, pictures, and for all the nervous mothers out there--security background checks!

This means that a person in Florence (me, let's say :) can search for someone with a free bed, couch, floor, or room, in Paris, Berlin, Buenos Aires or any place in the world on the CS website. Then follow up with an online request to a few people who seem interesting and are available for hosting, and wait for a response. If the person's able to host me, they send me a message with contact info and we plan on how and where we'll meet (usually at a train station or central part of the city). And wa-la! A home away from home in an unknown city!

Truly, my experiences traveling have been infinitely more interesting, authentic, and comfortable thanks to CS. Not only have I had free places to stay in cities across Europe, but I've had automatic friends--people who are proud of their home towns and want to take me to all of their favorite local places. And as you would expect, the types of people you find in a network like CS are generally very open, warmhearted, and excited to meet new people.

In an age somewhat deteriorated by fear and apathy towards our neighbors, or strangers that we have all too easily dismissed as x, y, or z...Surely, this type of program works to the advantage of the average person. Works to restore trust in the common stranger. Works to remind us that people all over the world long for cultural exchange and human connections. To me, this is thrilling.

Palermo, our first stop in Sicily, was where we met Ennio--couchsurfing emperor--with his royal empire estate to prove it.
"Parli Italiano o Inglese?" he asked me and Carolina.
"Italiano e bene," we responded probably all too confidently, as we were then plastered with a long line of explanations about our 5 star resort, solo in Italiano...
"Here's the bed, covers on the chest. Your big screen TV with over 500 DVDs of your choice (none of which you'll probably have time to watch, but it's nice to know they're there)."
We followed him into the next room, stretching to understand every word that we could.
"Here's a computer with internet, webcam, speakers, etc... Use it as you like. And don't worry, there's a high-speed connection. Another couch for relaxing. Refrigerator with drinks. Help yourself. Here's the bathroom, sink, etc. The water is hot for at least 2 showers in a row..."
Then he proceeded to tell us, at rapid racecar Italian speed, all of the best places for us to visit while he was at work, our eyes following his index finger along the worn map he provided for all of his guests. He handed us a tour book in English from a pile of 7 different languages to take along on our journey, and gave us a kiss on each cheek before he left us for a much needed "freshening up".

I could go on and on about Ennio and his love for hosting guests from all over the world. But let's just say this--he's hosted over 500 people in his 5 star guest flat, and each time I'm sure they feel like they're the first, the best, the most important guests he's ever had. How he has the time and energy for this when he works full time as an Environmental Engineer? One may never know...

The beautiful couchsurfing stories continue... and I have a really special one for you, coming up next...

Until then, tomorrow is a long-awaited day for me. I'm leaving Torino (northern Italy...host of the '06 winter olympics) and heading to the Pisa Airport where I'm picking up Brian. It's been over 4 months since I've seen his amazing face, felt his perfect touch... and let's just say I'm biting my nails with every second of anticipation. I cannot wait. I trust that everything will go just as it should :)

All my love...
Rachael

1 comment:

--b said...

i think enio had 800 dvd's, but i can't remember for sure.

pass on my regrets to carolina, but i traded kite runner for anne frank's diary. i'll make it up to her, somehow.

all the best,

--b